How to update your hours of service policy in preparation for the enforcement of the ELD legislation
To do this, it is necessary to clearly state the roles and responsibilities of drivers and other personnel involved in the use of the ELD.
Here are the key ELD-related items to consider when updating your hours of service policy.
- Define roles and responsibilities
- Indicate what to do and who to contact if the driver experiences difficulties while using the ELD
- Define the process for submitting and keeping the required supporting documents
- Indicate how to monitor and follow up on driver activity reports from management/administration
- Outline how to prevent dispatchers from assigning work (driving) to drivers with no driving hours available
- Include a statement prohibiting drivers from driving in violation when they run out of hours
- Outline disciplinary measures and corrective actions in the event of an ELD compliance violation
- Indicate the defect reporting and resolution process (MF/DC)
Once the internal policy updated, remember to communicate the changes to your employees and make them readily available for future reference.